"Alabama contributes only about 30 percent of its Medicaid program's funding, with federal money covering the remaining 70 percent. Changing Medicaid to a block grant would limit Alabama's federal Medicaid allocation to a fixed amount each year, regardless of the state contribution. Any cost increases would be borne by the state alone, with no 70-30 federal match."
Obvi, you were thinking, Alabama, so you have to rock that op-ed with the Prancing Elites. Yes I do, that is true. Please see picture above, and videos below.
But we also have to include the Alabama Shakes, who poignantly critique freezing that federal contribution level in "I Ain't the Same". As an aging population and decreasing social safety net combine to worsen health and threats to health and ability to recover from bad health, well then,
I said I'd never grow old
I can't remember how that used to be
I find myself without the power
I find myself without the glory
People will start losing coverage most under a block grant system when things get worse, because then costs will go up, just when the state needs coverage more. State-level costs increase. But the federal payment still stays the same or goes down.
Who gets cut out? Hard to say for sure before it happens, but with that question, back to the Prancing Elites. Apparently you have to watch the Oxygen channel to know which Prancing Elite needs coverage for antiretrovirals.
(OK, I admit I'm like, years late to the J-sette party, but here's a J-sette battle in Memphis. Aside from wanting to put the "mix" in "Mu-Receptor Mixtape" and rock your health policy musings, another reason I keep showing all kinds of random videos from around the country is this. I want you to look at these crowds and wonder: How many are Medicaid recipients? And what's going to happen to them? In Tennessee in general, and in Memphis also, about 25% of residents are covered by Medicaid.)
Because there's a lot of people who need Medicaid. And they're a potentially powerful force if organized. Remember, everyone, you ain't alone: